In 2017 and 2018, I utilized our PISCES software to generate new maps for CalTrout’s State of the Salmonids II: Fish in Hot Water (SOS II) report and for a new division of roach species and subspecies (genus Hesperoleucus). For the SOS II report, we chose design and colors to match the color scheme of
I spent October-December 2017 working at McMurdo Station, Antarctica supporting a team based out of the University of Oregon. The team included divers who installed highly sensitive monitoring instruments on the sea floor with live connections back to the surface. My role was to integrate, archive, and make available the vast quantity of data we were collecting.
I write a lot of spatial data analysis code using ArcGIS’s Python package, arcpy. Sometimes we need to automate map generation as part of that work, but with the split of the arcpy.mapping library between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, developers had to target two different APIs in order to make their code compatible with ArcMap
Had a couple interesting problems to solve today that I thought I’d note here. One was with a Python library not getting loaded correctly, and the other with some bulk email for a client going to spam. These are as much notes for me as for anyone else, so no guarantees on my writing quality
At a hackathon I helped put on in 2012, I wrote a Python wrapper for USGS’ water data for the nation flow data API that provides native Python objects based on requests for water flow data at USGS gage locations. While the wrapper still works, today, I recommend people use PyUlmo, which provides a more
For our Sierra Nevada Meadows Database project that catalogued more than 17,000 meadows in the Sierra Nevada, I built two pieces of software that extracted environmental parameters relevant to each meadow. The software: Determined the outlet point of each meadow Delineated a catchment for each meadow based on the outlet point Extracted data on relevant