I receive a number of requests for additional instruction from former students who have taken one class or another. I decided to combine my tutorials for water and ecosystem analysis in ArcGIS into a single book on LeanPub, which allows for work in progress publications, making it easy for me to combine some of my
I led a team of people using FEMA’s Hazus-MH (Multi-Hazard) software to model flood risk to 2 dozen Illinois communities as part of a larger project to measure perceived vs actual risk of flood in those communities. Hazus can be finicky software, so we tried multiple routes, including Hazus’s standard modelling methods and a modified
I created this static map as part of Nicholas Pinter’s Natural Hazards Mitigation Group’s analysis of flood inundation in the 2016 flooding in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The corresponding interactive map can be found here.
In response to flooding in Baton Rouge, Louisiana as a result of storms in August 2016, we detected flooding using satellite imagery to determine the extent of inundation as it compared to mapped floodplains. The darker blue shows flood inundation on Aug. 14, 2016, compared to locations that typically have water (shown in lighter blue).
I did all of the programming, GIS, and statistical modelling for a multi-phase National Science Foundation (NSF) funded project to determine mitigation potential for flooding in small midwestern towns. The picture above is from a mockup of an interface we designed to allow town governments to use our tool to find suitable locations, out of
PISCES is a set of ArcGIS tools and data for managing and analyzing the ranges of California’s 133 native fish taxa. Data is stored as a standard relational database, increasing the power over many typical GIS approaches, and allowing for a powerful mapping component that summarizes species presence information on the basis of factors such
This gallery contains 10 items.
The Center for Watershed Sciences had a project to model various scenarios for land restoration in the Cosumnes River floodplain, largely in the context of the Swainson’s Hawk. Toward the end of the project, we wanted to develop a decision support tool to help the grantor better understand the results, but had a small budget